It's about a hand up - Habitat partners with families to help them become homeowners. Families apply to our program and are reviewed by a selection process that confirms the following:
- Need for housing: Current housing is inadequate or costs more than 30% of the family's household income.
- Ability to pay: The family can afford the no-interest payments on the Habitat-built house and earns less than 50% the median income for Jasper County.
- Willingness to partner: The family is willing to perform 500 hours of “sweat equity.”
It's about kids in the community - Studies consistently show that providing children with safe and decent housing increases their emotional and physical health and improves their academic performance. To build a strong future, we must provide stability for a our working families and opportunity for the next generation. At Habitat, we bring together individuals, families, organizations, congregations and businesses – the community – to build a better community, one house at a time.
It's about economic development - Habitat believes that quality-of-life investments are economic-development investments and we promote sound economic development in the following ways:
- Habitat homeowners pay property taxes that contribute to the economy.
- Sponsorship dollars go directly into the local economy with significant economic effect.
- Habitat homeowner mortgage payments support building new Habitat homers.
- Children of homeowners are more likely to purchase homes themselves.
Mid-Iowa Habitat for Humanity partners with God and all members of Jasper, Marshall, Poweshiek and Tama Counties in providing simple, affordable housing through building and renovation, thereby enabling families to help themselves and strengthen their communities. Click here for more information on volunteering, sponsoring or becoming a partner family.